Night is such a weird time. After midnight, in the absolute
silence of the dark (and perhaps the occasional snore and grunt of the
roommate), suddenly one finds oneself in that mood that we, humans so easily
call nostalgia. Maybe it’s not just nostalgia for me, it’s that melancholic
mood, one when memories do come running by, but more than the memories
themselves, one just wants to experience all those emotions that one did… and
to feel surprised and full again. And what better, in the face of such craving,
than the random lines from books that made one laugh and cry for good times and
bad, not respectively.
I’ll tell you something that’s not better, but as equally
wonderful- one’s favourite movies.
And so in the night, I started doing it, opening random
movies and watching them- those scenes that are never quite over.
First came Butter, ah!! How I never tire of watching that
one. Whether it’s the stripper buying knives for Destiny, by sacrificing her
‘work clothes’ or the melted face of the baby, carved in to butter, that movie
always instils hope, and is unfailingly the first one that I inadvertently
open.
To Kill A Mockingbird has a long scene that I would watch in
my above said mood- the movie itself. But if that will not be possible, then
the opening scene, of the kid humming to herself while ‘organising’ her ‘toys’
is good enough for me.
For all those days I spent
romancing in the sun-filled streets and the divine beaches at Pondicherry, I go
to Eat Pray Love. Plenty of connections there, as it so happens that I bought
my copy of that book from those very same sun-filled streets. The last scene of
Javier Bardem walking to the docks to meet Julia Roberts, in his sandals and
loose cotton pants, nothing makes me cry for Pondy like that one does.
And how can I not mention Morgan Freeman’s ‘One hundred and
ten’ in Million Dollar Baby, or Bane’s speech in The Dark Knight Rises or
Joseph Gordon Lewitt drawing the skyline of Los Angeles onto Zooey Deschanel’s
arm? Or the scene from The King’s Speech where the tutor entertains the King
and the Queen at his house and his wife walks in? And perhaps one of the most romantic scenes in
movies, Sean Penn clicking James Franco’s pictures in Milk? Remi sniffing the
mushroom fried with cheese, that makes you wish for one? The boys flying out of the window in James Barrie’s
mind in Finding Neverland? Or the ‘mom’ in The Blind Side? Or Bellatrix’s laugh
at her freedom in The Order of the Phoenix…. I can just go on… anyways, the
point is that medley of random movie scenes at midnight is sometimes as
revelatory as nirvana, shows what one wants and what one misses. However, that
should be no reason not to find more beauty in the now, to write about at
another midnight, when thoughts are hard to come by in the midst of a roommate’s
grunts.
Carpe diem!!!
Comments
Post a Comment